Friday, January 16, 2015

Digital Blog Post #A: Chapter 1


The first concept that caught my interest was the Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge, or TPACK. It is the act in which teachers include three different types of knowledge to create an exciting way for students to learn. This concept was intriguing to me because I enjoy learning about the many learning styles and personalities, and TPACK is a way of including those styles along with today's use of technology. It still amazes me to see how much children of all ages use technology, such as, computers, ipads, etc. Below is a video that I found to be, although long, a very good example as to what it truly means to include every part of TPACK in a lesson.


Another part of Chapter one that not only caught my interest, but also surprised me was the "must-have" pieces of technology in classrooms. When I was in school, we were privileged to just have a computer lab with the gigantic monitors that were each the size of a school desk. Students are now using tablets and laptops, as well as, Smartboards and even smartphones for school work. According to Mashable, more than two-thirds of teachers want more technology in their classroom, along with many other surprisingly high classroom technology statistics. I am very excited to learn and experience ways to incorporate these technologies in everyday lessons.

Lastly, I was surprised to learn that there were so many ways to use technology in the classroom. I realized the basic forms such as listening to music from an ipod or watching a video on YouTube, but I have never put some technology into consideration, such as, social media. Reading about them in the textbook has opened my eyes to more technology incorporating opportunities than I thought possible.

As my first post comes to an end, I have realized how much I really do not know about using technology in the classroom. I know that teaching will always be a learning experience for me, and I look forward to learning and growing, along with technology, along the years that I am a student and a teacher.

Resources

F, A. (2013, June 23). TPACK Example. Retrieved January 16, 2015, from http://youtu.be/_a90EvWfoLU

Larson, E. (2013, February 5). How Many Teachers Use Technology in the Classroom?. Retrieved January 16, 2015 from http://mashable.com/2013/02/05/teachers-technology-infographic/

Maloy, R., O'Loughlin, R., Edwars, S., & Woolf, B. (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education Inc.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome first post! Isn't it crazy to think about how much technology has changed our schools (and our world!!) - we probably use those new technologies without batting an eye as they are so ubiquitous, but never think about how they might have other uses. That is definitely part of this class - how can we use those technologies which are ubiquitous and familiar to our students for learning! :)

    Great enhancements to your post with video and hyperlink to article (which has a very nice/clean infographic, too!). You can see that visual literacy and the use of multimedia is also very powerful for today's learning modalities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Professor Coleman. It is true, we don't usually realize what we do in our everyday life. My goal for myself in this course is to realize and be able to properly utilize all technologies possible in my eveyday life as a student and teacher.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a good plan! Purposeful and meaningful are key words, but tough to always realize. ;)

      Delete