Sunday, February 8, 2015

Digital Blog Post #D: Chapter 5

The chart on page 105 in the textbook was very informative. I love that it specifically describes what each search engine or database is used for. For example, Technorati is a search engine specifically for blogs, and open library is working on being one webpage with EVERY SINGLE book ever published. This chart will come in handy for my future research papers. I wish I could use delicious for paper material too!

Electronic note-taking. I have been using technology for everything and yet I still cannot get myself used to electronic note-taking! I have tried, but for some reason the information does not stick in my head. I like the idea though, I have tried to keep my grocery list on an app I have on my phone and my husbands, so that it syncs to both of our apps. But, of course, I forget its on there because I am still stuck on looking for a written list. I hope I can change my habit of only written notes so that i can help my students with it as well.

I never realized how many parts there were to evaluating a website. I knew about basic things like update information and if the links are not usable. Again, I find that I learn something new every day. There are so many false websites out there and they look very real! It amazed me to see the Tree Octopus website and realize that it wasn't real. It was very entertaining though to read that their predators included the Sasquatch!


Resources

Giuliano, J. (2015 February 8). Evaluating A Website. Created with http://piktochart.com/

Maloy, R., O'Laoughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

1 comment:

  1. It is always fun to learn - especially when you thought you knew a fair amount about a topic. For me, learning about digital media/literacy and transformation instructional strategies with technology is always changing (and often challenging, but rewarding!). :) Good to hear you continue to learn.

    Nice Piktochart to show the five critical components for evaluating websites - hopefully, you can keep them all in mind when you review any new websites. It is an important skill for students to learn and there are quite a few 'hoax' websites out there to share with students and test their understanding of those evaluative criteria.

    ReplyDelete